We circulate almost all of our maps and the hiking, National Forest, USDA, and other trail maps are included. I don’t know how often they are being used, other than reshelving piles, but do know that there is circulation. Also, I get requests about specific locations, so there is use in that way.

We have not had any problems with damaged maps yet on any of these. I’ve also purchased some on faculty requests when they take field trips with classes to specific forests and national parks. Even then, most maps come back in good condition.

Our topo quads have suffered from field use often. Again, sometimes faculty who use maps in field studies will tell me what they plan to do in advance so I can either purchase duplicates that can be replaced if damaged too badly.

David J. Bertuca, Map & GIS Librarian

Science and Engineering Information Center

116 Lockwood Memorial Library

University at Buffalo

Buffalo, NY 14260-2200

716-645-1332 / 716-645-3859 (fax)