I remember back in the day when I wanted to purchase topo maps but couldn't find the ones I wanted, and I certainly never depended on a library to have such maps available. As a patron, I would have loved to check out such maps, but even if all I did was view such a map in my car, we all know what happens to maps on trips; they wear out quickly, get torn, never get refolded correctly, and if there large enough, get mangled in confined vehicular spaces.

Frequently the offices for public lands, especially for BLM - where I could have purchased such maps - were usually closed by the time I reached an area that I would be exploring over the weekend or while on vacation. If I am camping at a state park, there is always an increased chance of getting one of their trail maps because I'm going to be there longer and they are open during the day on weekends.

These days, there are many sources for hiking and trail maps in digital form, some of which have apps for cell phones and tablets. A quick Google search returned this at the top of the list and it certainly piqued my curiousity:

https://www.gaiagps.com/

I'm pretty sure there are others, including one that I downloaded a few years ago, iHikeGPS<https://www.ihikegps.com/>, which I found sluggishly difficult to use at the time, but which may have been improved since then.

I myself would use a map IN the library and AT the library as my starting point to gather information in advance of a trip. Nor would I expect to check out such a map out and take it with me on a trip. I believe that the risk of checking out such maps is too risky and would point patrons to digital resources or provide copies of such maps instead.

Leslie Wagner
Associate Archivist
University of Texas at Arlington Libraries
817-272-6209

Past Chair, ALA MAGIRT
Former Chair, TLA AGLHRT
Member SAA, SSA, TLA, ALA, TSHA, TSGS, TMS