From: A forum for issues related to map & spatial data librarianship <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Peter Collier <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, December 3, 2018 9:33:19 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MAPS-L] Arbeitsstab fur Karten und Vermessungswesen

Hello,

The Belgian mapping agency prior to WW2 was L'Institut Cartographique Militaire. Their maps were copied by both the Arbeitsstab fur Karten und Vermessungswesen and the British both before and during WW2. There were a number of German military mapping agency designations, such as the Generalstab des Heeres Abteilung für Kriegskarten und Vermessungswesen, the OKH/GenStdH, and the OKH/Gen St d H Abt f Kr Kart und Verm W. These may all refer to a single organization just with name changes over time, or with different abbreviations. The problem is that you find different designations on sheets of the same or overlapping dates.

Peter

Dr Peter Collier
Department of Geography
University of Portsmouth