On behalf of a researcher I am seeking a set of maps for digitization of the 1978 census of population enumeration districts (and smaller areas) ina Tanzania, produced at 1:500,000.

Our collection includes the 1967 Census enumeration maps (as does UIUC and IU) but the researcher needs to compare across the two censuses, and identify the additional districts created for the 1978 census.

OCLC shows that Stanford has 3 individual district maps from the 1978 census.  And I have also seen that there are reduced size reproductions of the census maps included with one of the census volumes.  My patron wants to digitize the maps for use in GIS, so the distortions of scale of those reduced size maps may make them inappropriate for his purposes.  Anyone have a full size paper set that hasn’t been cataloged yet?  Or better yet, GIS files for the 1978 census district/ward/enumeration areas boundary maps?

Thank you very much.

Anne

Anne Zald

Instruction & Curriculum Support

Subjects: Government Information, Social Sciences Data, Regulatory Compliance, Economics (interim)

Northwestern University Libraries

Adjunct Faculty, iSchool at Syracuse University

1970 Campus Drive

Evanston, IL 60208

(847) 467-6441