One of the things I've wondered about since I spent the summer of 1962 working on the France and Cuba Gazetteers (until somebody came and took my Cuba  maps away in mid September before I went back.to school eight days later) is where the US government gazetteers building function went when the great shakeup happened and all the mapping and place name work went some place I never was able to find.  (If you're curious about what happened to my maps of Cuba, check the front pages of the New York Times or the Washington Post about mid-October, 1962.)

If that function for having correct English spelling of place names in government documents didn't disappear into a secret hidey hole that might be a place to find at least one reasonable English language spelling of each of the place names you're looking for.

If anybody on the list knows what happened to Pete Burrill's organization and can communicate that to Ann it might prove helpful.

Hope this helps.

Virginia