From: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Brendan Whyte [log in to unmask] [ANZMAPS] <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2019 6:07:08 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ANZMAPS] Map in A.C Hayter portrait of Caroline Chisholm

NLA posted on social media about Caroline Chisholm on the anniversary of her death two days ago with this portrait by A.C Hayter and we received the question below on the post. Does anyone know what information we could provide about this map of Australian in the painting?

Can we know some more about the map on the wall Please ?

Can anyone identify it or suggest further information?

It doesn’t show Victoria, so must be pre-1851 (yet there is a book on the woman’s desk with 1850 on the pine, and a document face up dated 1852).

The N is New South Wales is backwards

And Port Phillip was written horizontally then erased, but the trace of it can still be seen.

And the orange line makes no apparent sense to me…

Brendan

Posted by: Brendan Whyte <[log in to unmask]>