I don't know if you went to the USGS Publications page,  but found 121
titles for Lake Tahoe:

https://pubs.er.usgs.gov/search?q=Lake+Tahoe+

Seems like the map might be something that would appear in the USGS Special
Publications or Miscellaneous Publications series or maybe the Water-Supply
Series.  The map probably was in an envelope attached to the back cover.

The webpage for the USGS Publications used to have an advanced search
engine where you could find titles by date range but it doesn't seem like
they do anymore.

Take a look at those titles and see if one of them fits.   Also,  email the
USGS and see if it is familiar to them.

Carlos A Diaz
AskCarlos. com