_______________________________________
From: David Soller <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, April 15, 2019 6:55 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Versioning a GIS publication, and helping users find it

Hi - I'm seeking guidance for how institutions manage the versioning of GIS-based map publications.  For example:

     Do you re-release the entire dataset, or just the area(s) that was revised (perhaps not a big issue for local maps, but could be a significant issue for regional or statewide compilations)?

     What documentation, aside from the metadata (e.g., ISO or FGDC), do you provide with the new version?

     How do you announce or advertise the new version?

     Do you have a method for directly notifying users of the previous version?  Or must you rely on them to discover the new version at your site?

I'm beginning to set up a repository for both published and unpublished GIS data, from various providers, and would appreciate your insight (and example URLs).

Thanks.
Dave