From: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2019 10:46 AM
To: Maps-L: Map Librarians, etc.
Subject: RE: coordinates don't match map title/place help

This is a very different situation than that –

The way it is, I work for a geological survey.  And so, I’m able to chat with the geologists who made these maps.  And sometimes, there is just a mistake on a map.  People do make mistakes sometimes.

The geologist who made this map says that yes, that place name is close in the alphabet to another place name, but it is not the same place, and the bad title is just a mistake.  His take is it just needs to be fixed on the map.  But!  It can take some time to do that.  And people are busy.  And I hate to put people out that are busy.  My job is supposed to be cataloging the maps, not finding fault with work that map makers did.

So, really, this is kind of like a misprint.  Misprints can happen. I feel like I could run into something like this again – surely this isn’t the only time that it has happened, that a map has managed to get printed, but it was mis-labeled in its title.  And so, trying to work out a right way to handle that.

Many thanks,

Sylvia

Survey Logo_Used 1997 To Present (Except 2012)

Sylvia Halladay

Librarian

Division of Geological Survey

Ohio Department of Natural Resources

2045 Morse Rd., Bldg. B

Columbus, OH 43229-6693
Office Number: 614-265-6624
sylvia.halladay@dnr.state.oh.us

www.ohiogeology.com

Title: Twitter - Description: image of Twitter icon

This message is intended solely for the addressee(s). Should you receive this message by mistake, we would be grateful if you informed us that the message has been sent to you in error. In this case, we also ask that you delete this message and any attachments from your mailbox, and do not forward it or any part of it to anyone else. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.