From: Henley, Amanda Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, July 3, 2019 6:27 AM
To: Maps-L: Map Librarians, etc.
Subject: RE: MAPS-L Digest - 1 Jul 2019 to 2 Jul 2019 (#2019-111)

Hello,
Regarding the question on Jim Crow era legislative acts - I recommend Pauli Murray's States' Laws on Race and Color - published in 1951.
https://ugapress.org/book/9780820350639/states-laws-on-race-and-color/
The information is organized by state.

We are building on this work with a collections as data project called On the Books: Jim Crow and Algorithms of Resistance. We are creating a plain corpus of NC Laws, and will do text analysis to find Jim Crow laws. If you are interested, here's the press release: https://library.unc.edu/2018/12/on-the-books-grant/
And the project website:
https://unc-libraries-data.github.io/OnTheBooks/
(with more information forthcoming).

Best wishes,
Amanda Henley

Amanda Henley
Head of Digital Research Services
University Libraries, Davis Library Research Hub

orcid.org/0000-0002-5269-2630

Follow the Research Hub!
Twitter | Facebook