Thank you all for the responses.  I see I’m not the only one who has had this issue.  If you have the Atlante Tematico d'Italia, I strongly suggest that you check it’s condition as well.  Our 4 volume set was stored lying down and I left half the cover stuck to the shelves when I pried it loose.

Kathy

From: Maps-L: Map Librarians, etc. <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Geoffrey Forbes
Sent: Wednesday, September 4, 2019 8:14 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Atlas cartograìfico del Reino de Chile, siglos XVII-XIX

A while ago I had this same problem with a power tool (yes, a power tool). Handles of power tools are often made of latex rubber, and in time that degrades because the molecules in the substance are long chains with very weak links to each other.  Online tips include preparing a mixture of baking soda and water (but not if the latex is black); or using Windex, rubbing alcohol, or just mild soap and water; and gently cleaning the part with a soft cloth.  Not exactly archive-preservation advice.  But they say that this cleaning process only removes the degraded latex, and the process will continue; so eventually the latex part will need to be replaced.

Geoff

Geoffrey A. Forbes, M.S.

Director of Mapping

LAND INFO Worldwide Mapping LLC