I've worked off and on over more then 25 years on Hedberg Maps college
mapping projects. In print titles are at
https://hedbergmaps.com/collections/colleges?sort_by=created-ascending.

The root source of data for me is IPEDS by the US DOE. It includes
lat-long and addressing data by institution, and does not include many
of those institutions (mostly religious schools) that do not participate
in federal aid programs.https://nces.ed.gov/ipeds/
<https://nces.ed.gov/ipeds/>

The key problem with "mapping higher education" is what to map. IPEDS
maps all accredited institutions, but this might be a system or an
individual school, depending on how it's organized. If you're going to
do campuses, as we tried to do comprehensively on the first edition of
the American Higher Education Map, do you include every satellite campus
with three classrooms in an office park? For that matter, what basis for
inclusion do you use? Lots of schools offer post-high-school education
without a degree: truck driving schools and cosmetology schools, for
example. Even if you say "accredited degree-granting schools..." whose
accreditation? regional agencies only, or one of the many religious,
for-profit, or trade-based groups? It's kind of a quicksand. Hedberg
Maps made its own criteria for each title based on consumer need, but if
you want to map "every college location," it's a huge and kind of
slippery slope.

Nat Case
INCase, LLC