All,

I'm looking for 1940s aerial photography of T25E-T27E and R18S-R21S, Willamette Meridian, Oregon.  This is in an area that is currently part of Malheur National Forest but was part of Ochoco National Forest in the 1940s. It also needs to be of a "reasonable" scale (1:24,000 or larger?).

The oldest we have in our collection is 1953 aerial photography at 1:54000 which is too recent and too small scale.

We have an index for Ochoco National Forest Project FS 6-102, Symbol DIR from 1949.  However, that covers an area north of the desired site.

Does anyone know of or have 1940s aerial photography of this region? I'm working with a graduate student who's advisor swears that it exists.

Thanks for any information you can provide in helping track this down.

Kathy Stroud
David and Nancy Petrone Cartographic and Spatial Data Librarian
Knight Library
1299 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-1299
541-346-3051

"A map is not just a picture-it's also the data behind the map, the methodology used to collect and parse that data, the people doing that work, the choices made in terms of visualization and the software used to make them."