Hi Michael,

I know exactly what you mean, having had the same perplexing decision many times.  I have never had a cut-and-dried metric to follow, but generally decide how numerous and prominent the maps are in the volume.

One thing I look at is whether the maps have a theme, such as showing the social and economic characteristics of a given place or region.  Also, are there many other true illustrations in the volume.  In the first case, if the thematic maps are numerous, such as at least 1/3 to 1/2 of the pages, then that is an atlas.  If the maps are just scattered around and are accompanied by lots of illustrations, that is most likely a book of “description” about a place.

In any case, if I cannot make a decision, I think about whether a user would find the volume useful because of the maps inside of it.  If yes, then it’s an atlas; if no, it’s a book.

Sorry that I can’t be more definitive.  In your position, I would err on the side of “atlas”, especially if there is a bibliographic record coded that way, and also since catalogers years ago most commonly cataloged them as books. It will be somewhat arbitrary, but I don’t see how to avoid it.

Best,
Louise
Retired UCLA map cataloger