Spatial Data Librarian
UCSB Library
805-699-0058

On Apr 13, 2020, at 12:21 PM, David Medeiros <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I assume the data sources are listed? Or maybe that's the "disclaimer" note you're adding. Where data come from another source I'd add those sources to the map citation (to an About or Info link etc). The source data sites should have their own disclaimers about their accuracy. Where original analysis has been performed on data in the map, is probably where an actual disclaimer about methods or data accuracy is beneficial. None of this is standard though, just best practices for web maps in general.

---

On 2020-04-13 11:08, March, Greg wrote:

Hi David,

The disclaimer question was raised after a person (using the online map) commented that there was an error with the data on the map.  The data source was USGS, but USGS has been a reliable source for map data, so the professor wasn't sure if the error statement was valid or not.

Thanks!

-Greg

Gregory H. March

Map & Government Information Librarian

Associate Professor

University of Tennessee

Hodges Library

Knoxville, TN 37996

865-974-3878

Research Guides – Anthropology, Earth & Planetary Sciences, Geography, Maps, Government
Tennessee Committee on Geographic Names