Your researchers may want to talk to the guys who gave this recent presentation about using Google Street View images for identifying urban features and aligning them with historic street-level photographs.
https://www.lib.ncsu.edu/events/coffee-viz-urban-panorama-t-sne-street-feature-mapping-tool

Jeff Essic
NC State University Libraries