Hi Chris.  I’m sorry I won’t get to see you at WAML this fall.

I have two comments regarding aerial photography and copyright.  First, anything done for the federal government was done under contract and the US government does not copyright any of that.  Both the mosaics and the photos themselves are in the public domain.

Second, any aerial photography done for mapping purposes was done according to standardized specifications.  It does not involve any creativity, which is essential to establish a copyright.

Without creativity, nothing is copyrightable.  I would argue that no vertical aerial photography done for mapping purposes can even be copyrighted.  It doesn’t matter if it was done by a private vendor like Fairchild or Mark Hurd, or for a state of local government.  There is simply no creativity involved.  Oblique aerials done for other purposes may be different.  Depending on how they were done, they could be considered to have creative content.  Think Ansel Adams.

I hope we will all be able to get together again in 2021.

Cheers.

David

cid:image002.jpg@01D2F71A.D4FBAE40   seemoreincolor

David Hodnefield

President

952-253-2004 ext 111

Historical Information Gatherers (HIG)

www.historicalinfo.com/fimo/

LinkedIn-Logo-02facebook icontwitter iconyoutube icon