I’ve loved seeing all the maps shared so far.

I’m useless for Hangzhou, but In looking for archival photos, pre-PRC for Wuhan, make sure to use the names of Wuhans 3 constituent cities, which were separate: Wuchang, Hankou (Hankow), and Hanyang.  Hankou was the concession port. Wuchang, across the river, is where the imperial government seat of Hubei province sat.

Check out UN photos here, including refugees being sprayed with DDT and bombed out buildings:
https://search.archives.un.org/informationobject/browse?mediatypes=136&view=card&sort=alphabetic&sq0=hankow&collection=%2Funited-nations-relief-and-rehabilitation-administration-unrra-1943-1946&onlyMedia=1&topLod=0&rangeType=inclusive

(Wuchang was occupied by both the communists and the Japanese during the anti-fascist war. It was also bombed by both the Americans and the Japanese at various times.)

Historical Images of China looks like it has updated its metadata with modern place names.  478 images of Wuhan:
https://www.hpcbristol.net/search?query=wuhan
(This collection had an inordinate number of photographs of white people)

Fun fact: Wuchang had China’s first library school.  It came with missionary Mary Elizabeth Wood.  I think her papers are at Simmons.

-j

Jon Jablonski
Interdisciplinary Research Collaboratory
UCSB Library