This late note from Debbie Gibbons at National Geographic Partners:

    I can't speak for atlases that do new editions each year, I believe
    Oxford is one.

    We do *reprints* each year or as needed and mostly just fix any
    errors that have been found.
    Every 5 years or so we do new *editions* and those are completely
    reinvented—new design, new content (new thematic and reference
    spreads), all spreads updated with new geography and data as needed,
    updated boundaries, capitals, etc. At a minimum we create 7 new
    reference spreads although with the last one we did 17 brand new
    spreads and we had 5 brand new thematic spreads with all others
    receiving major overhauls.

Hope this is helpful.

Nat Case
INCase, LLC, Minneapolis.