From: Robin Rank
Sent: Monday, August 31, 2020 5:53 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Thanks! Ref Q: Maps of Wuhan and Hangzhou, 20th century

Dear Map Librarians,

Wow!  You are the best!  Thank you so much to everyone who has shared resources to help with my student’s reference question.  I’ve collected them all below, in case they are of interest.

Stay safe and well, everyone.

Robin

University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee:
Hi from Milwaukee, WI! The American Geographical Society Library has 1 scanned map of Wuhan from 1986 and about 73 photos of Wuhan from between 1913-1915. Also, we have 2 maps of Hangzhou & around 12 photos from 1931-1932.

The photos have all kinds of subject matter - hopefully this is helpful to you and your student!

Wuhan<https://collections.lib.uwm.edu/digital/search/collection/ccnet!af!agsafrica!agsphoto!agseurope!agsnorth!agsoceania!ags_south!agsmap!agdm!agsny!agstranscon!catw!ccnet!san!georgia!paddock!pol!nehgrant!forman!tibet!mketran!polar/page/1/search/searchterm/wuhan>

Hangzhou<https://collections.lib.uwm.edu/digital/search/collection/agsphoto!agdm/searchterm/hangzhou!Hangzhou/field/citypl!all/mode/exact!all/conn/and!all/order/nosort/ad/asc>

University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee
AGS Library, UW Milwaukee Libraries:
There are a number of photos in my library's digital collection with the heading "Wuhan."
https://collections.lib.uwm.edu/digital/collection/agsphoto/search/searchterm/wuhan?CISOBOX1=wuhan

Also, we have one map:
https://collections.lib.uwm.edu/digital/collection/agdm/id/8197/rec/1

Branner Earth Sciences Library & Map Collections, Stanford University:
Here are some basic search results from our map collections:
Our topic guide has instruction on how to further deep dive our collections: https://guides.library.stanford.edu/mapcollections

Wuhan maps:
https://searchworks.stanford.edu/?f%5Baccess_facet%5D%5B%5D=Online&f%5Bformat_main_ssim%5D%5B%5D=Map&q=wuhan&search_field=search

Hangzhou maps:
https://searchworks.stanford.edu/?f%5Baccess_facet%5D%5B%5D=Online&f%5Bformat_main_ssim%5D%5B%5D=Map&q=hangzhou&search_field=search

davidrumsey.com
https://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/detail/RUMSEY~8~1~314244~90083316:Karta-Yuzhnoy-Pogranichnoy-Polosy-A?sort=Pub_List_No_InitialSort%2CPub_Date%2CPub_List_No%2CSeries_No&qvq=q:wuhan;sort:Pub_List_No_InitialSort%2CPub_Date%2CPub_List_No%2CSeries_No;lc:RUMSEY~8~1&mi=0&trs=1

Here are some basic search results from external sources for images:

Getty:
https://www.gettyimages.com/photos/wuhan?editorialproducts=archival&family=editorial&phrase=wuhan&sort=mostpopular#license

Library of Congress:
https://www.loc.gov/photos/?q=wuhan

Stanford University again:
Here are 4 maps we have that have been scanned of Wuhan.  One of them may be the map referenced by James below.

https://searchworks.stanford.edu/view/6538415 (1946)
https://searchworks.stanford.edu/view/2952426 (1943)
https://searchworks.stanford.edu/view/2837849 (1946)
https://searchworks.stanford.edu/view/12437942 (1927)

Australia (no university indicated):
https://catalogue.nla.gov.au/Record/7251987
Wuhan 1930s

Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection, University of Texas Austin:
[Hankou] Hankow with Hanyang and Wuchang 1915<http://legacy.lib.utexas.edu/maps/historical/hankow_1915.jpg> (470K)
From An Offical Guide to Eastern Asia, Volume IV: China. Published by The Imperial Japanese Government Railways. Tokyo, 1915.
http://legacy.lib.utexas.edu/maps/historical/hankow_1915.jpg

[Hankou] Hankow 1945<http://legacy.lib.utexas.edu/maps/ams/china_city_plans/txu-oclc-6566099.jpg> (9.8 MB)
U.S. Army Map Service, 1:25,000
http://legacy.lib.utexas.edu/maps/ams/china_city_plans/txu-oclc-6566099.jpg

You probably have these, but I'm sending the links just in case.
A few months ago I had to figure out that Hankow is one of the cities that formed Wuhan.  The Wikipedia article on Hankow uses our map.

University of California Los Angeles:
We have a digital copy of this map at:
http://digital2.library.ucla.edu/viewItem.do?ark=21198/zz002hdw07
Also, you can search OldMaps Online for Wuhan city at https://www.oldmapsonline.org/
[https://www.oldmapsonline.org/static/img/oldmapsonline-logo-bg.jpg]<https://www.oldmapsonline.org/>

Old Maps Online<https://www.oldmapsonline.org/>
Welcome to Old Maps Online, the easy-to-use gateway to historical maps in libraries around the world. Find a place Browse the old maps. Share on
www.oldmapsonline.org<http://www.oldmapsonline.org>

Penn State University:
Penn State has the following in our catalog.  None of these are scanned, but can be.  There are several 1980s, 1990s and 2000s tourist maps.

https://catalog.libraries.psu.edu/?f%5Bformat%5D%5B%5D=Maps%2C+Atlases%2C+Globes&q=Wuhan+and+Hangzhou&search_field=all_fields

University of California Santa Barbara:
I’m useless for Hangzhou, but In looking for archival photos, pre-PRC for Wuhan, make sure to use the names of Wuhans 3 constituent cities, which were separate: Wuchang, Hankou (Hankow), and Hanyang.  Hankou was the concession port. Wuchang, across the river, is where the imperial government seat of Hubei province sat.

Check out UN photos here, including refugees being sprayed with DDT and bombed out buildings:
https://search.archives.un.org/informationobject/browse?mediatypes=136&view=card&sort=alphabetic&sq0=hankow&collection=%2Funited-nations-relief-and-rehabilitation-administration-unrra-1943-1946&onlyMedia=1&topLod=0&rangeType=inclusive<https://search.archives.un.org/informationobject/browse?mediatypes=136&view=card&sort=alphabetic&sq0=hankow&collection=/united-nations-relief-and-rehabilitation-administration-unrra-1943-1946&onlyMedia=1&topLod=0&rangeType=inclusive>

(Wuchang was occupied by both the communists and the Japanese during the anti-fascist war. It was also bombed by both the Americans and the Japanese at various times.)

Historical Images of China looks like it has updated its metadata with modern place names.  478 images of Wuhan:
https://www.hpcbristol.net/search?query=wuhan
(This collection had an inordinate number of photographs of white people)

Fun fact: Wuchang had China’s first library school.  It came with missionary Mary Elizabeth Wood.  I think her papers are at Simmons.

The Library of Congress:

If you’re interested in photos, as well (as Jon suggests)… The Library of Congress’ Prints & Photographs online catalog<https://www.loc.gov/pictures/> has images for these cities he mentions.

******************************
Robin Rank
Reference and Instruction Librarian
Information Services
Kalamazoo College Library
Kalamazoo, MI 49006
pronouns: she/her/hers
What are these?<https://www.mypronouns.org/>
email:  [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Visit our Library website<https://library.kzoo.edu/>

Our physical building may be closed, and your librarians are here to help.
Make an appointment<https://go.oncehub.com/researchrescue> for research help from Anywhere!