Andria asked, "Or if there are similar stand-alone maps available for this time period?"  I was simply trying to think of other sources of publications from that era that might cover health or children's health issues.  The serial maps do indeed cover a wide range of topics, and many of those maps were quite detailed on subjects such as illnesses and causes of deaths, both nationwide and in large cities.  It was a shame that many of the black and white maps were not scanned in color - we compiled a list of maps for them that we hoped might some day be replaced with color since the black and white did not differentiate the shadings for various vegetation, soil types, etc.  We also sent them a list of serial maps that were inadvertently linked to the wrong state, county, etc.  Quite a few of the county soil maps were labeled as, say, "Greene County, Alabama", while the attached map was of Greene County, New York.  The Serial Map collection at ProQuest Congressional is not perfect, but it is a fascinating source of maps for various time periods.

Jim Nealis

-----Original Message-----
From: Fry, Michael <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tue, Sep 29, 2020 11:21 am
Subject: Re: 1920s Public Health maps

This does not address Andria's question (i.e., "Were these Children's Bureau maps separately issued?"), but I want to clarify something about the Serial Set maps Jim referenced. I managed the scanning project from the UMd. end, so I had a front row seat.

The purpose of that scanning project, which was undertaken when the product was still owned by LexisNexis, was to upgrade the existing digital Serial Set's b&w maps, all of which had been scanned from microfiche. When we set out to ID and locate and extract maps from bound Serial Set (or equivalent agency-issued) volumes, we aimed specifically for high value targets that would most effectively replace the low-res b&w scans, i.e., anything that was color, oversized, and/or graphically detailed that couldn't be easily read online. So if the low-res, b&w fiche scans were good enough to communicate the map content, we left 'em alone and did not pull print copies for scanning.

The b&w maps I see in those digitized CB reports are page maps (not oversize), and they're not very graphically complicated. Money and time were in short supply by the time we'd entered the early 20th century (the project proceeded chronologically through the Serial Set), so if the CB reports are in the Serial Set (they don't ring a bell, but it's been a dozen years), it is highly unlikely that we scanned them. That is, whatever's in the ProQuest product will likely look similar to what you can see at the URL Andria sent out.

Not that anybody was asking. ;)

mf