Hi all-

I have a question from a patron I’m hoping you can help with: The patron says he understands that with world atlases, as they publish new editions each year, the copyright date changes, but he wants to know WHAT changes are made yearly and at what level? So, for instance, country, city, national park names or their boundaries, new roads, railways…Are they updated?

And secondly, he’s looking for a good world atlas, smaller than a coffee table book, but he doesn’t like Rand McNally (!). Any suggestions?

I know these are kind of odd questions, but I told him I’d run it by the collective minds of many map librarians and see if we could get some answers. Thank you! You can respond directly to me, off-list, if you’d like!

Ilene

Ilene Raynes

Jerry Crail Johnson Earth Sciences & Map Library

University Libraries

University of Colorado Boulder

184 UCB

Boulder, CO 80309