Michael shalom,

Thank you for this interesting question.  I would like to share my own experience.
I was hired as a map librarian (responsible for everything from hiring students to work for me, to reference work to cataloging to ordering maps, etc.) about 6 years ago, after the last map librarian was already retired for half a year. She did come by to teach me, about once a week, but she did not do computer cataloging herself and so I had to learn cataloging maps on my own. I bought Paige's "Cataloging sheet maps" and tried to wrap my head around it.
Till then maps were cataloged in the cataloging department by staff who had not seen the maps for themselves. Most of the collection was not yet cataloged.
As soon as I thought I had enough experience I taught the three students who worked for me to catalog maps.
I tried to check their work in the beginning, but it was impossible to keep that up.
Add the transition to RDA to the mix.
I still see many records in the catalog, both the ones I did myself and those of my students, that are less than perfect (much less). Of the ones that were done before my time, with no viewing of the maps themselves, many are quite bad.
Nowadays I try to teach my (most every year changing) students cataloging as well as I know how. I also learned a lot myself.  I always encourage them to ask anything they did not understand. Some do, some do less. Neither my work, not theirs, is flawless. But I don't have the manpower to check their every record. I check here and there.

My point is: if you hire somebody, make sure they get extensive instruction on map cataloging (unless they already cataloged maps in the past of course). In the beginning, I would check everything they cataloged, and give them feedback.  After a week or two - depending on their performance of course) I would hope that they 'got' it and insist on being always available for any question or doubt or hesitation. Nobody can do it perfect, but the right person with the right education and the right attitude will make a valiant effort... And hopefully you will have the working relationship that allows for sharing and learning from each other.

My two cents

Krina

Krina Doekes Brandt
Map Librarian, Librarian for Geography and Urban Studies
Bloomfield library for Humanities and Social Sciences
Hebrew University
Mount Scopus
Jerusalem
tel. 02-5883422