Hello everyone,

Not everyone on either of these lists knew Ed Redmond personally or knew of him, but when the news of his death was shared with me yesterday I was crushed. I have known Ed as the super-helpful, knowledgeable, always positive and simply fantastic person that he was from probably the late 1980s/early 1990s -- whenever it was that I made my first in-person visit to the Geography and Map Division of the Library of Congress and the Reading Room there. I will personally miss him greatly.

Those of you on the MAPS-L list likely will remember from time to time Ed sharing his knowledge about a map or atlas in the Division's collection (or link to a website showing the image(s)) to help answer someone's question posted. An example of just how much he enjoyed sharing both the collections held that he had the privilege to work with at LC G&M and his knowledge on historical topics.

Below is a formal statement from the Chief of the Geography and Map Division; I was asked to share this news with you all:

Good Morning Chiefs and Directors:

The Geography Map Division Family is saddened to inform you all of the death of our colleague Edward Redmond.  Ed was a thirty-one year veteran of the Library.  He served as the G&M vault curator working closely with our Preservation Directorate as well as being the main POC for collection loans inside and outside of the Library.   He was planning, and extremely excited about, our participation in the upcoming Two Georges Exhibit.

We will miss his wry sense of humor and his passion for working with maps. Ed Redmond embodied what the founders of the map collections of the Library of Congress thought it should be – a holistic representation of geography and cartography. Of course, he had his personal favorites; the cartographic creations of George Washington with the enlightenment spirit of the founding fathers, Civil War Maps, and early survey and plat maps.

To hear Ed present to a class of undergraduates, or to a group of tourists who he coaxed into the vault in the basement of the Madison building, what the L’Enfant plan of Washington DC or what the manuscripts of Lewis & Clarke meant to the legacy of the US was to hear what history is about, not just factually but spiritually, and with his passion.

Ed exemplified the spirit of the Library of Congress, a place where people and collections meet, where the greatest dreams of the humanists and idealists of the past come together, and attempt to rise above the everyday, trying to imagine a better and more thoughtful world.

Ed embraced his role in the Library, and his legacy lives on in our collections and in our purpose.

Sincerely,

Paulette Hasier, Ph.D.

Chief, Geography and Map Division

Library of Congress