Other than that, I'm getting sort of rusty!

Good luck,
Louise

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 6:03 AM Andrew, Paige G. <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi Michael,

I have the record open (needs work). Have to admit that without images to follow along your description it would be difficult to judge whether the title chosen for the title proper is the right one (though, with tourist maps most often it is, as you note it is treated as a "collective title" for multiple main and/or other maps found on the sheet).

But you are on the track, before a full description can be done one must decide how many main maps are involved. To me it sounds like you are not convinced there is only one, and secondarily maybe the one represented by the 245 title isn't the correct one. Its also a shame the cataloger did not provide an English transliteration of the 245 title and place that in a 246 to be helpful to us English readers/speakers.

I'm willing to work through this with you because of the many decisions needed if you wish to share images of all the parts of the map with me. At this point this sits as "catalogers judgement" and since it appears we do not have a copy of this map locally it would be inappropriate to argue one way or the other about potential changes (other than obvious ones, such as deleting the period in-between 255$a and $b and adding a comma to "1:340 000")

Paige

From: Maps-L: Map Librarians, etc. <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Fry, Michael <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2021 9:53 PM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: cataloging insets and titles

Hi,
Couple of questions for you catalogers about the following Russian-language map, translated and described here...

Title panel
===========
[Big type]
CRIMEA FOR TRAVELERS

[Sm. type]
Crimean peninsula 1:340,000
South Coast of Crimea 1:100,000
Simferopol, Sebastopol 1:50,000

Verso
===========
* Untitled map of Crimean peninsula that bleeds to the paper's edge (no border or neatline)
* inset of Simferopol
* legend, table of distances, index

Recto
=======
* Titled map: "South Coast of Crimea". Map bleeds to edge (no border or neatline).
* inset of Sebastopol
* title panel, locator map panel, 2 panels of tourist sites (photos and text)

The existing record [OCLC 1187201243] has a 245 with the title panel's (collective?) title and no 246s. A 500 note describes "three insets."

I don't think this is right, but I'm under-informed. The "South Coast of Crimea" map *is* an enlargement of the described area, but it's not depicted graphically (e.g. set off in a box) like the two "true" insets; except for scale and the title on the map, the graphic treatment of this is similar to the recto's peninsula map. And though I can't read the text, it's clear from the symbology that this area is intended to represent the most traveler/tourist-friendly part of Crimea.

Q1: How many main maps and insets here? (Two and two, I think?)
Q2: What goes in 245/246 fields? Does the small title panel text go in the 246?

Thank you for reading this far, and for any input you have. Feel free to contact me offline if you want to know more.

Michael
--
Michael Fry
Collections Manager |