The linework is graphic arts tape. From a cartographic and graphic arts perspective, graphic arts tape for stickup was the rage back in the 1970s and 1980s but we found the stickum did not "stick" for long, thus why we were discouraged from using that technique. The method did not have a long shelf life.for one-off maps, let alone production. I do not recall cartographic technicians at the US Geological Survey's National Map Division ever using that technique for producing topographic or geologic maps because manual stickup maps were seen as transient products. I know from personal experience that we scribed our linework on mylar; we left stickup for point and text layers. If you replace the linework, then how true will you be to the artist's work? What is the condition of the other graphic elements such as text and point symbols, as well a map marginalia?  The issues you are encountering is something we have always been afraid of when making maps; how long will the primary materials last?

Good luck with your effort.

On Fri, Apr 16, 2021 at 9:53 AM Andrew, Paige G. <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi Susan,

I have experts here at Penn State's Conservation Center that might be able to assist with your question and will pass this message along to Sue Kellerman and crew. What a mess though! Maybe it won't be possible to re-glue/re-connect the original line work back on to the mylar in which case what is your "plan B"?

Paige

From: Maps-L: Map Librarians, etc. <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Susan Nixson <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, April 16, 2021 12:12 PM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: 1970s mylar map preservation question

Good Afternoon from Vancouver Island, BC. We are working with a map from the 1970’s Mylar maps that have linework that is very fragile and falling off. We are unsure of what material was used originally, and would like to know what we could potentially use to glue the linework back on. I’m not sure if images will come through here on the listserv, but I am including them just in case. If you have any suggestions on how to proceed that would be very helpful.

Thank you,

Susan Nixson, GISP

GIS Analyst

Silvacare, Inc. | Unit 3 145 19th Street | Courtenay, BC | V9N 9G2 | Direct: 250.984.8144

--
Maureen Kelley, PhD
Lecturer, Geography Program

''Just what the truth is, I can't say anymore.''  Justin Hayward