On a related topic: Does anyone know where I can purchase folder paper?  We’ve finally run out and I can’t find a record of where we last got it from.

I use folder paper in flat map cases to keep map sets/series together in a drawer that also contains other flat maps.  Another use for folder paper is to protect a physically fragile map when retrieving it from a flat file (although I usually encapsulate at that point).  You can also use folders to keep a drawer with wildly different sized maps organized if all the folders are the same size.  I was originally trained that all the flat maps should be in folders, but having inherited a collection of over 200,000 maps that have been stored in various ways at various times, I haven’t tried to implement that. As I said, I primarily use folders to keep series together.

As to how many maps to put in a drawer, I think there are previous discussions on this list (which I’m not finding at this time).   Larsgaard (1998) says that a tightly packed 2” drawer of same size maps can hold up to 300 sheets. However, she estimates that a mixture of various sized maps will take about a half inch for 25 sheets. (100 sheets for a 2” drawer.) I wouldn’t recommend more than 100 sheets per drawer. If your maps are in a public area and/or frequently accessed, I’d recommend significantly less. Also, encapsulations and folders naturally increase the weight and thickness, thereby decreasing the number of maps.

Weight is actually an important factor, but # of sheets can be a general proxy. A heavy stack of maps in a drawer increases the likelihood of damage to the maps (and the patron – some of us have bad shoulders) when retrieving a map from near the bottom of the stack.  It’s also more difficult to refile maps if you have a lot in the drawer. So, factors to consider when deciding how many maps to put in a drawer:  1) how frequently will people be retrieving maps from the drawers (is this a popular collection, a use collection, archival only?); 2) Are the people accessing the maps trained on how to safely remove maps from a drawer (i.e., don’t yank on the corner of a map at the bottom of the stack); and 3) are the maps all of the same size or a variety of shapes/sizes.

We classify using LC call #s

Kathy Stroud

David and Nancy Petrone Cartographic and Spatial Data Librarian

Knight Library

1299 University of Oregon

Eugene, OR 97403-1299

541-346-3051

“A map is not just a picture—it’s also the data behind the map, the methodology used to collect and parse that data, the people doing that work, the choices made in terms of visualization and the software used to make them.”