Date:    Tue, 20 Jul 2021 18:52:20 +0000
From:    Ann Kardos <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Seeking catalogers/metadata librarians who cross stitch!

** Please pardon any cross-posting **

Are you a metadata librarian or cataloger? Do you cross stitch and/or embroider? Or do you want to learn? I’m looking for you!

I’m launching a community stitching project and exhibit to bring attention to the work of metadata practitioners. I’m asking you to create a 12x12 inch cross stitch or embroidery piece that focuses on unseen labor, and how our catalogs and discovery systems don’t work well without the unseen cataloging and metadata labor that we do every day! This is a fun project to tell the world a story, to celebrate and speak about my work, and I’m looking for your help! Some ideas to get you thinking:

  *   Why do you catalog? Or why did you become a cataloger?

  *   How do you explain your work to colleagues?

  *   How does our unseen labor create and sustain our catalogs and our colleagues?

  *   Why is metadata exciting?

  *   How has your service been impacted by budget cuts? Staffing shortages? The pandemic?

Let’s stitch it together! Please join me by emailing [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>. I’d love to have some virtual gatherings to stitch together and send some emails for inspiration!

The end goal of this project is an exhibit to be on display during the spring of 2022. My hope is that it will be physically on display at my institution, University of Massachusetts Amherst. If that doesn’t work out, I will figure out a virtual exhibit for the pieces. I’d love to include your works for display! The deadline for submission will be December 20, 2021 and all submissions will be returned (logistics forthcoming for those who participate).

I’m excited to see what we can create!

Cheers,
Ann

--
Ann Kardos
She/Her<https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mypronouns.org%2Fwhat-and-why&amp;data=04%7C01%7Cacope%40UWM.EDU%7C31fe79b27fdd41410c1708d94bfc1ef4%7C0bca7ac3fcb64efd89eb6de97603cf21%7C0%7C0%7C637624368494079552%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=eauncEiX7m9cOUiJcK4omFCgPJQeZg%2BnrhAgdTohPes%3D&amp;reserved=0> pronouns, please