Hi Michael,

When you view a digital map on the computer you use different zoom levels (zoom in or out) to view your map based on your needs. If a map has a graphical scale, then it does not matter what size the map is printed, the scale will still be correct, and this is also true if you are viewing the map on a computer. However, you do not want to use the RF scale to measure distances if you have changed the size of your map. The RF and graphical scale provide two different functions for the map reader. The RF scale is fixed to the map size whereas the graphical is not. When you enlarge the map, the graphical scale will become longer and if you reduce the size of the map the graphical scale will become shorter, so therefore, the graphical scale is correct to the size of your map.

Writing the page size of a map and the RF scale in a catalog record is important because this will allow the user to figure out how detailed the map is based on the RF scale. For example, if the map is drawn at 1:1,000,000 compared to 1:10,000 RF scale, the larger scale map is more detailed compared to the smaller scale map. If you record the page size of a map, this will allow a person to print the correct size map based on the page size recorded in the catalog. About your question of map size unit - you can easily convert inches to centimeters if you want to record the page size in metrics.

-Wangyal

Tsering Wangyal Shawa

GIS and Map Librarian

Head, Map and Geospatial Information Center

Peter B. Lewis Library

Washington Road & Ivy Lane

Princeton University, Princeton, NJ 08544

Telephone: 609-258-6804

Make an appointment

http://library.princeton.edu/collections/pumagic