As a current MLIS student (and MAPS-L lurker) in San José State
University's iSchool, I'll offer some reflections on this interesting
question.

In 2019, I took Dr. Aber's San José State class mentioned by Angela in this
thread. I found it to be engaging. It was offered as both a 2- and 3-unit
class, and I chose the "smaller" version. There were only 7 students in the
class.

   - Dr. Aber seemed to focus on the "geoliteracy" aspect of map
   librarianship, which resonated with me because I work in elementary
   education and am pursuing a school librarian credential. She gave us quite
   a few opportunities to become more geo-aware ourselves in a gamified format.
   - As part of that curriculum, students visited a map librarian. Dr.
   Susan Powell at UC Berkeley's Earth Sciences Library graciously allowed me
   to interview her. If I recall correctly, she emphasized the need for a
   geospatial librarian to have a background in an academic or practical field
   that uses GIS.
   - I talked to a San José State academic advisor about pursuing map
   librarianship as a career, and she emphasized taking a government documents
   library course. She also conveyed that map librarianship would be an
   academic track, which left me wondering whether that truly is the only
   option. How about map librarianship as a career in government
   - I think it would be useful to integrate the use of ESRI or QGIS in a
   library school course. It's something I missed with Dr. Aber's class, which
   is understandable since there are so many geospatial topics to cover! But
   I'm probably going to have to take GIS courses at my local community
   college, teach myself, or get practical experience somewhere through a paid
   position or internship.
   - Geospatial metadata as a topic could be useful for such a course. I
   did research about this for a Special Topics: Metadata course in our
   iSchool. When I look at geospatial librarian-related job descriptions these
   days, metadata seems highly relevant.

Please feel free to contact me if you want further insight from a student
perspective!
Tobias Bodine
Teacher-Librarian Credential and
Masters of Library & Information Sciences Candidate,
San Jose State University iSchool
Born on Tamcan/Cholvon land, raised on xučyun (Huichin) land, living on
Saclan land
"In the beginner's mind, all things are possible" -- Shunryu Suzuki Roshi