Passing this along from the Department of Geography, Environment and Society here at the University of Minnesota:

https://jobsearch.cla.umn.edu/346201

The Department of Geography, Society, and Environment at the University of Minnesota invites applications for a full-time, 12-month, non-tenure track position at the rank of Lecturer with expertise in Geographic Information Science (GISc) to begin teaching in fall semester 2022. We are committed to attracting candidates from historically underrepresented groups knowing that diversity enriches the academic experience and provides a knowledge base for innovation.

We seek a dedicated educator in Geographic Information Science (GISc). We welcome applications from individuals working in any part of the field. We are especially interested in receiving applications from educators who complement our strengths in geovisualization and cartography; spatial analysis and modeling; and cyberinfrastructure and high performance computing. The primary role of this Lecturer position is to provide high-quality GISc instruction with an emphasis on problem-based learning and active learning by teaching 5 courses per year. The ideal candidate will help provide vision and leadership for the professional Masters of GISc program, the first such program in the country, and contribute to the undergraduate GIS programs. In addition, this position includes dedicated time for professional development, outreach, and service.

Responsibilities

80% Teaching

  • Provide high-quality instruction in GISc and GISc-related courses. This will include existing courses such as ArcGIS I, ArcGIS II, Principles of Cartography, and Advanced Cartography and Geovisualization as well as newly developed courses.
  • Maintain and update current course content and, if needed, develop new courses to meet programmatic needs and improve student success given new evolutions in geospatial data and technologies.
  • Create an inclusive learning environment for a population of students with diverse backgrounds and professional/personal interests.
  • Teaching assistants are provided for many courses in GISc.

20% Service and Professional Outreach

  • Help contribute to programming and activities for the GeoCommons, our new collaborative research, teaching and learning space.
  • Collaborate with U-Spatial and other units to strengthen GISc across the university including, for example, participating in the Esri Innovation Program (EIP) and coordinating licenses for GIS products
  • Advise students regarding both coursework and broader academic or career goals.
  • Continue growth within the profession in order to enhance the Lecturer’s own teaching and will also benefit the wider GISc community through interaction between the Lecturer and colleagues.
  • Provide guidance in instruction and course development to GES colleagues. The department is highly regarded and has strengths in areas of population and health; urban analysis; science, technology and society; Black and Latinx geographies; and human-environment dynamics, biogeography, and climate. The department also has area foci including, North America Africa, Europe, Latin America, the Islamic world, and East Asia.
  • Opportunity to participate in governance of GES, CLA, and/or the University through membership in committees and leadership in professional organizations.

Qualifications

Required Qualifications

At the time of appointment, the candidate must:

  • demonstrate a commitment to supporting diverse and inclusive communities;
  • possess a Masters or PhD in GIScience, geography, or a related field;
  • have a record of teaching and student advising appropriate to career stage;
  • demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively with students, practitioners, and the public;
  • be proficient with geospatial tools, including ArcGIS Pro, QGIS, and other commercial and open source products in teaching and research settings;
  • be proficient with programming languages (e.g., SQL, Python, JavaScript, R).

Preferred Qualifications

  • Experience with spatial databases and/or enterprise GIS environments (e.g., PostGIS, ArcGIS Server).
  • Experience with cloud computing environments (e.g., AWS, Azure).
  • Strong interest in linking undergraduate and graduate research to classroom experiences so as to promote student engagement in research.
  • Interest and ability to conduct pedagogical research.
  • Interest and ability to cooperate with colleagues to develop grant proposals to advance funding for instruction and scholarship of teaching and learning.

--
Ryan Mattke
Map & Geospatial Information Librarian

Adjunct Faculty, MGIS Program