I received the following via the OLAC-L list this morning and contacted Lynn directly with my suggestions. And asked if she would like me to post her message to a broader audience where she might receive more responses to her queries. Following is her message, if responding on this list please copy Lynn directly as I do not believe she is a subscriber to MAPS-L.

Thanks in advance for your assistance,

Paige

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Good morning,

We are considering combining our LC-classed maps with our SUDOC-classed maps into one map collection. Since I’m going to have to re-class the majority of the collection, I wanted to find out how other libraries classify their maps. I’m looking for something that would be easy to apply, easy for researchers to find in the map files, easy for students to learn how to re-file, and doesn’t end up with most of the collection in just a few numbers with long/complex cutters that make them unique. Any recommendations?

Also, if anyone has any advice on reclassifying and reorganizing a map collection I’d love to hear it.

Thanks, Lynn

Lynn E. Gates

Director of Cataloging & Metadata Services

Kraemer Family Library

1420 Austin Bluffs Parkway, Colorado Springs, CO 80918

P 719-255-3289 | E [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

[uccs-signature-email]