I am so very sorry to hear about Nancy’s death. She was a remarkable and very special person. She will be greatly missed.

Dorothy McGarry

Get Outlook for iOS

From: Maps-L: Map Librarians, etc. <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Ian Fowler <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2022 11:09:46 AM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Nancy Kandoian (1952 - 2022)

We are deeply saddened to share that our beloved colleague Nancy Kandoian, map librarian at the New York Public Library's Lionel Pincus and Princess Firyal Map Division has passed away.

Nancy started at the Library 44 years ago as a map information assistant, and has been the heart of our Map Division ever since. Over her long and fruitful career at NYPL, Nancy helped shape the field of map librarianship, particularly through her tireless dedication to the practice of map cataloging, and her mentorship and training of countless colleagues both at the Library and across the U.S.  Employing unending patience and devotion to her craft, Nancy’s contributions to librarianship will benefit our patrons for generations to come.

She was the consummate professional, expert at her job, dedicated to the Library’s mission and public service, and always kind, respectful, and thoughtful with both patrons and colleagues. Her generosity was also unparalleled—whether she was sharing her vast knowledge, taking the time to talk with colleagues, or passing out her (incredible) homemade baked treats.  She will be deeply missed.