From: Maps-L: Map Librarians, etc. <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Craig Haggit <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2022 11:17 AM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Provider neutral record for reproductions

Good morning,
This is a cataloging question regarding provider-neutral cataloging records for reproductions. First time trying to create a record of this nature, so... is the record I created done correctly or did I screw it up?

Some relevant background: A couple years ago we acquired a high-resolution digital copy of a map covering a portion of Colorado from a map dealer. We were unable to obtain the original, but that's a different sad story. We did print out a high-quality reproduction from the digital image, for which I created OCLC record 1319856604. Reproduction is at the same scale as the original, or at least as close as we could make it. We did not have access to the physical original.

I do understand the purpose of this type of record is to avoid duplication for every variation of local reproduction out there, which makes sense, and that this also knowingly violates some normal cataloging rules.

So, having never made one before, am I on the right track? Did I miss something fundamental?

Thanks for any advice,
Craig

Craig Haggit
Senior Special Collections Librarian, Western History and Genealogy Dept.
Denver Public Library
10 West 14th Ave. Parkway
Denver, CO  80204
720-865-1813