At the University of South Florida, we have multi-volume atlases consisting of fire insurance maps for various parts of Tampa, Florida. The atlas doesn’t have coordinates. The authority for Tampa contains coordinates, but I’m wondering if that’s for current boundaries. If the maps don’t show parts of the city that were largely undeveloped at the time, would the coordinates given still be put in the cataloging record? One volume says it includes the adjoining city of Temple Terrace. If I can’t find four point coordinates for Temple Terrace, do I just use the Tampa coordinates?

Also, are decimal coordinates preferred now, or is the recording of degree/minutes/seconds just as acceptqable?

Brian Falato

Senior Cataloger

Collections & Discovery

University of South Florida Libraries