From: Maps-L: Map Librarians, etc. <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Brian Falato
Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2022 4:05 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Question on Sanborn maps

Thank you. I have discovered more problems.

We have 2 sets of 4 volume atlases. Both have on title page "Insurance maps of Tampa, Florida, 1931." 1931 is the copyright date. But one set of volumes has updates in the volumes for 1953-1961, and the other set has updates for 1953-1962. Since the title proper is the same, I made authorized access points for one set with the title proper and delimiter s (1953-1961 updates) and the other set the title proper with delimiter s (1953-1962 updates). I have used the revision dates in the 264 field for publication, and the copyright date in a separate 264 subfield c. In the fixed field dates, should I be coding date status as m for multiple dates, or as t and use the last revision date and the copyright date?

Another problem I discovered is that one set has a note on title page that says "Includes Port Tampa City." Port Tampa was an independent city at one time but was later absorbed into the Tampa city limits. I was going to make separate subject headings that include Port Tampa (Fla.) since that is an authorized heading. But the geographic cutters that you would use in field 052 do not list Port Tampa. Should I use Port Tampa in subjects without an 052 or should geographic headings/subheadings be used only in conjunction with 052?

Brian Falato
Senior Cataloger
Collections & Discovery
University of South Florida Libraries