Great sites.  Thanks for sharing those links.

I fear I may be changing the subject a little, but if I may . . .

I am looking for a comprehensive index of all topographic maps
published in the USA.  All dates and all scales.  Different
distribution (like BLM and forest service) maps included.
"Preliminary" maps like those showing only contour lines (and
no text on the map) not necessarily included.

I have the excellent index from The National Map:
https://www.usgs.gov/programs/national-geospatial-program/national-map
if anybody wants that, just let me know.

This index is for geo PDFs they currently offer and it includes about 357,300
records.  This is a VERY good start, but I am finding from my personal
collection of GeoTiffs that it is not a comprehensive list.  I am currently
working to include my maps in the index, but clearly this will also not be
a comprehensive index.

For reference, the National Map index has an average of about 6 different map
dates for each 1:24,000 scale map it lists, and 8 different map dates for each
1:250,000 scale map it lists.  Both those figures being for the lower 48
states only.

The obvious place to obtain a comprehensive index is from the Library of Congress.
I must admit I have not exhausted all attempts to do that.

I welcome any comments about how to obtain a comprehensive index of topographic
maps published in the USA.

Mike F