From: Maps-L: Map Librarians, etc. <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Craig Haggit
Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2022 9:56 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: map collection measurement

CAUTION: External Sender

Hi Michael,

When they say 'linear feet' I get the impression they're after storage capacity. Could it be translated to 'map collection footprint'. As in, square footage? Seems like it'd be fruitful to have a conversation, while meeting in person, physically, in the map collection, regarding what statistic could actually help them.

Usually when people ask size/extent it's the number of sheets. Or if you want to give an example of how meaningless the number could be, estimate the average sheet size, then take the number of sheets, and multiply by the average perimeter.

Good luck with all that!

Craig

Craig Haggit

Map and Geospatial Librarian, Special Collections and Digital Archives

Denver Public Library

10 West 14th Ave. Parkway

Denver, CO  80204

720-865-1813