Hi all,

The Leventhal Map & Education Center welcomes submissions to our new Cartography Challenges program!

In each Challenge, we provide a Topic you should map, a Dataset(s) you must use, and a Challenge Prompt that is meant to introduce some generative constraints on your cartographic imagination. The current challenge, "No Choropleth, No Problem," asks participants to creatively visualize immigration patterns in Greater Boston using anything except a choropleth map. Conceptualized as a way to support working cartographers, data scientists, and designers while expanding our digital collections, we hope to post new challenges multiple times per year.

Submissions are due Monday, December 19, and in addition to a prize of $200, winners will have the chance for their work to be exhibited in LMEC's digital collections and exhibition.

Please feel free to share widely, and don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions.

Best,
Ian Spangler
Assistant Curator of Digital & Participatory Geography
Leventhal Map & Education Center