Hi everyone-

I wanted to let everyone know that we have two special events this coming Wednesday, December 7 at 3.30 pm (doors open 3 pm):

“The role of canoe-building and navigation in Yapese and Marshallese seafaring systems”

https://events.stanford.edu/event/canoe-building_and_navigation_in_yapese_and_marshallese_seafaring_systems

This is a hybrid event, for more information and to attend, you can register via zoom.

We will also unveil the “Imagining Maritime Spaces Exhibition” at the time of the talk:

https://events.stanford.edu/event/ImaginingMaritimeSpacesExhibition

This is an in-person experience.

Both these events are under the auspices of the Computational Archaeology and Seafaring Theory (CAST) workshop that is being hosted by the Stanford Archaeology Center and the David Rumsey Map Center.

For next year, we have two “Save the Dates” announcements.

First, on February 16, 2023, at noon, PST, via zoom, two talks on Sea Routes on Maps.

Second, we want to announce that dates have been established for the Barry Lawrence Ruderman Conference on Cartography. The theme for this, our fourth conference, is Data Visualization. The dates are Oct 18-20, 2023.

For more details, check out our newsletter. Forthcoming newsletters will have registration information.

Our newsletter is our primary way to get the word out on our programming. If you like to subscribe, please do so here.

Happy Holidays and Best Wishes, Salim

--

G. Salim Mohammed, Head and Curator

David Rumsey Map Center

[log in to unmask] | 650.723.5100

library.stanford.edu/people/gsalim

rumseymapcenter.stanford.edu

David Rumsey Map Center

Green Library

Stanford University

557 Escondido Mall; MC 6004

Stanford, CA 94305-6004

I recognize that Stanford sits on the ancestral land of the Muwekma Ohlone Tribe. This land was and continues to be of great importance to the Ohlone people. Consistent with the university's values of community and inclusion, we have a responsibility to acknowledge, honor and make visible the university’s relationship to Native peoples.

"Live simply so others can simply live." -Gandhi.