Hello all,

Here is my summary of proposals and discussion papers of potential interest
to the cartographic cataloging community on the agenda for the MARC
Advisory Committee (MAC) meetings to be held virtually January 31-February
2. Please get any comments to me by January 24th.

MARC proposal 2023-01 Defining a New Field to Record Electronic Archive
Location and Access in the MARC 21 Formats would define Field 857
(Electronic Archive Location and Access) to allow libraries to specify a
persistent identifier or location of a resource in a digital archive
repository or a Web archive. The field would also allow the recording of
the name, date ranges, and completeness of the relevant archived content.
The proposal comes from the ISSN International Centre and the National
Library of Finland so was drafted in part to cover serial publications but
I think there are times this field could be useful for digitized maps. I am
inclined to vote in favor.

MARC discussion paper no. 2023-DP01 Defining a New Subfield in Field 264 to
Record an Unsubfielded Statement in the MARC 21 Bibliographic Format is a
revision of Discussion Paper 2022-DP10 that MAC discussed in June. Further
details and information from a BIBFRAME perspective were requested and this
paper strives to meet those requests. The focus is to add a non-repeatable
subfield to Field 264 to record an unsubfielded imprint or provision
statement. Adding this subfield would make cross-walking between BIBFRAME
and MARC easier since RDA allows the recording of a resource's publication,
production, manufacture, or distribution in a single, unbroken statement.

MARC proposal 2023-02 Adding Subfield $3 to Field 041 in the MARC 21
Bibliographic Format would add $3 (Materials specified) to Field 041
(Language code) so that there would be a clear indication what part of a
resource is in what language. Field 041 would be repeated for each needed
$3. So if you had a map with text in English, German, and French and the
legend in English, German, and Spanish, you could do the following

041 0# $3 Text $a eng $a fre $a ger
041 0# $3 Legend $a eng $a ger $a spa
546 ## $3 Text $a In English, French, and German.
546 ## $3 Legend $a In English, German, and Spanish

I am inclined to vote in favor.

MARC proposal 2023-03 Adding Subfields $0, $1, $2, and $5 to Fields 720 and
653 in the MARC 21 Bibliographic Format would add subfields $0 (Authority
record control number or standard number), $1 (Real World Object URI), $2
(Source of standard number or URI), and $5 (Institution to which
field applies) to fields for uncontrolled data in the MARC 21 Format
(Fields 720 and 653). During the PCC pilot on adding URIs in MARC,
participants had a number of use cases where adding the URIs to Fields 720
and 653 would have been helpful. I am inclined to vote in favor.

MARC proposal 2023-04 Defining a Field for Ownership and Custodial History
in Structured Form in the MARC 21 Formats Would add Field 361 to the
bibliographic, holdings, and authority formats to contain copy-specific
information on ownership and custodial history in a structured form. There
would also be an adjustment to Field 561 field definition and scope
referring to Field 361. I am inclined to vote in favor.

MARC discussion paper 2023-DP03 Renaming and Redefining Field 368 Subfield
$d in the MARC 21 Authority Format would allow for the renaming and
redefinition of subfield $d (Title of person) in Field 368 to expand the
definition to include titles not currently covered. Currently, the
definition is "Designation indicative of royalty, nobility, or
ecclesiastical rank or office, or a term of address for a person of
religious vocation." RDA defines "Title of person" as "a word or phrase
indicative of royalty, nobility, or ecclesiastical rank or office, a term
of address for a person of religious vocation, or another term indicative
of rank, honour, or office." So this discussion paper would bring the RDA
and MARC definitions into alignment.

Again, if you have any thoughts on these, please get them to me by January
24th.

Susan Moore
--
Susan Moore
*Catalog Librarian/Cataloging and Metadata Unit Coordinator*