My problem was that I couldn’t connect to it at all, but they got back to me very quickly to suggest that I change my browser’s default language to US English (it was UK English before). This has fixed the problem so that I can access it. So that’s a start!

Thanks to everyone who has shared tips.

Debbie

From: Maps-L: Map Librarians, etc. <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of LOUISE RATLIFF
Sent: 22 February 2023 20:56
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: GNIS geographic names search for foreign places

You can also click on the "zoom to" box and click on the dot on the map, and get the information that way.

Louise

On Wed, Feb 22, 2023 at 12:54 PM LOUISE RATLIFF <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I had some success going here: https://geonames.nga.mil/geonames/GeographicNamesSearch/.  I typed in my search term of Belfast. Then I clicked on the box labeled "fuzzy search," in the upper right. It returned a long list of Belfast places along with checkboxes for filtering by country.  I selected UK and got a smaller list.  But that did not tell me any information.  So, I checked the box for City of Belfast and clicked the magnifying glass to zoom to it on the map. Next I closed out that fuzzy search results window so I could see the map. Then I clicked on the dot on the map and it gave me the name information.  This is really bizarre behavior, in my humble opinion.

Louise