From: Maps-L: Map Librarians, etc. <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Brendan Whyte <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2023 8:36 PM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: LC G-schedule cutter for the internet?

Howdy Map cataloguers,

We have a worldwide map of the internet (servers to servers) to catalogue.
Our several 'maps of online communities' are shelved under G9930, as they depict imaginary spaces, but this current map shows server nodes/institutions, and connections, so is a map of real places.

I would have expected it to be classed as G3201.P9... something.
But the LC schedule we have is a little outdated and only lists:
.P9    Communications
.P92       Telegraph
.P93       Submarine cables
.P94       Telephone. Area codes
.P95       Radio
.P96       Television
.P97       Dissemination of information. The press. Printing. Propaganda. Public opinion

Has the internet been given a cutter yet? .P98 perchance?
Or should I just class it under the general .P9 ?

Tanks for any advice,

Brendan Whyte
National Library of Australia