I'd say you are on target. Though, its not simply "here's what we think" more than what evidence do I have? And knowing that sometimes that "evidence" comes from either a "hand me down" source such as the folks at LC who deserve credit for establishing ways of doing things and then shared that out with other catalogers ("LC practice") or collective knowledge simply by working with these materials for many years and doing some research on publishers or other "agents" to formulate what to put in the record. The saying that cataloging is more art than science is still true to this day though probably more 50/50 than it used to be.

Paige

From: Maps-L: Map Librarians, etc. <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Michael Fry <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, March 20, 2023 4:05 PM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: inferred dates and RDA

Thank you, Caroline, Paige, and Tim.

I admit that my brittle (and new to cataloging) mind has trouble understanding why we code the same info as probable/inferred in some places (i.e. with brackets) and "known" in others (no brackets). "Was this map published in [date and/or place], or do we merely think it was published in [date and/or place]?"

Am I misunderstanding the situation?