From: Maps-L: Map Librarians, etc. <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Michael Fry <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, March 17, 2023 2:34 PM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: inferred dates and RDA

When cataloging resources that lack explicitly stated info (e.g., statement of authority, date of publication), my understanding is that one can record inferred info in square brackets. So in the classic case of CIA maps--which typically imply through a somewhat opaque alphanumeric code when the maps were created--the 264$c might look like this:

[2018?]

But in that case, what about the 008 and the 050/090 fields? Is it equally permissible to put "[2018?]" into those fields? I've seen plenty of CIA maps, but I'm not sure I've ever seen one with a "?" in the call number!

Thanks.
Michael