All,

I would like to lead a panel discussion or even a workshop at the upcoming WAML (Western Association of Map Libraries) meeting in Vancouver, BC, August 9-12 (https://waml.org/conferences/waml-2023/) regarding massive weeding projects/concepts of a map collection.

We can all point to examples of map collections that have been gutted when a map librarian leaves.  The moment that person leaves, the powers that be decides the map collection must be downsized 50%, 60%, 70%, or even 90%.

How should we, as librarians in charge of map collections, put a plan in place so that a massive weeding project is done with forethought & care?
If a massive cull needs to be done, can we be given the dignity of doing it ourselves.  After all, we're the ones who know these collections the best—what is important, well-used, unique.

We all have been to sessions about collection development but what about collection destruction?

Would any of you find this panel discussion/workshop helpful or even interesting?

Who wants to work with me on this?

Many thanks.  Yours in maps,

Christopher J.J. Thiry
Map & GIS Librarian