Fellow map catalogers,

I have encountered a conundrum when searching out LC class codes to use in MARC 052 fields. In looking for the Irish Sea, I discovered that it appears in the LC classing tables in two places: with the British Isles as G5742.I6 and with the Atlantic Ocean as G9112.I7.

Has anyone else encountered this (quick poking suggests there are a few other bodies of water with the same issue)? If so, how do you choose which classing to use?

Best,

Brenna

--

Brenna Bychowski

Catalog/Metadata Librarian

Bibliographic Description Unit, Special Collections Technical Services

Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library | Yale University Library

[log in to unmask] | 203.432.4850

she/her/hers