Hi all-

I'm the Review Editor for the "Atlas and Book Review" section of the WAML Information Bulletin. I'm seeking a reviewers for the following book (description for this book is taken from the publisher’s website):

  *   Jerusalem Online, Critical Cartography for the Digital Age, by Valentina Carraro, Springer, September 2021, ISBN: 978-9811633133.

The book addresses the rapid shifts which have taken place within cartography, and argues that no amount of technological sophistication will lead to neutral representations, and that as such critical cartography provides a solid foundation for questioning the power of maps. It considers the fragmentation, dynamism and opacity that characterise online maps, and argues for the need of new ways of thinking and researching maps. The book offers an approach grounded in ‘ontological’ social theory and feminist technoscience, and illustrates it through the analysis of three Jerusalem-related mapping controversies. Using online media, historical maps and ethnographic work, each case study explores a different map provider and a recent mapping development: Google Maps and the distributed authorship of web-maps; Waze and algorithmic navigation; OpenStreetMap and crowdsourcing. The book is a key read to faculty and advanced students in Urban Studies and Critical Cartography. It will particularly appeal to those working in the digital geographies.

Deadline will be the end of June for this review. (I will send you more specifics if wind up reviewing this book). A note: this book has been supplied in digital form. If you choose to review it, I will send you a pdf. You will not get a print version. Please contact me off-list if you're interested and I'll send you the pdf, the reviewer guidelines, and a due date. I’ll also be seeking reviewers for a few more books in the coming weeks, so keep an eye out for another email.

Thanks!

Ilene

Ilene Raynes

Map Library Program Manager

Rare and Distinctive Collections

(Includes Special Collections, Archives, Government Information Library, and Map Library)

Located in the Jerry Crail Johnson Earth Sciences & Map Library

University of Colorado Boulder Libraries

184 UCB

Boulder, CO 80309