Me thinks Mr. Gomberg is being "heavily sarcastic" here but let it be known
that this collection is definitely interested in its old maps both for their
artifactual and intellectual/informational value. To that end, we are
studying imaging and scanning options which would provide surrogate copies of
our historical material; allow greater access to our collection for a greater
number of scholars; allow less use of the original fragile materials; and
allow these materials to be studied in a greater detail (digitally) than is
currently possible with the human eye.

David A. Cobb
Harvard Map Collection