     Thanks to all those who have responded to my GSGS map series question.

     While it is understandable that with the existing GSGS (Series)
     authority record that the 4948 should not be in subfield a, I keep
     having the feeling that GSGS series numbers have something in common
     with US AMS map series numbers, which are called by LC "standard map
     series designations," and are treated as alternate titles, or part of
     the title of the map series, rather than the number of a piece within
     a series.  Is anyone from the British Ministry of Defence reading, and
     can you say what the publisher's intent is?  I guess it is probably
     the case that the number has both functions, and with the authority
     record, it has been established that the overall series takes
     precedence, and the number as the title of subseries is not
     emphasized.  Is that an appropriate interpretation?

     Nancy Kandoian
     NYPL Map Division